Feb 20, 2010

Don't you want to watch a movie in a cinema in Kelantan?

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh.
Salawat and salam to our beloved prophet, Muhammad s.a.w.

Dear friends and readers,

Do you know that we do not have a movie cinema/theater in Kelantan? Actually there were a few cinemas 18 years ago but after the Islamic Government took over the running of the State, the cinemas cease to exist. They are allowed to be in business but they need to follow certain rules which were set up by the current Islamic Government of Kelantan. Among the rules is the need of separating male and female viewers in the cinemas which is not very likable by the operators. I think the only cinema left was closed down a few years ago.

Another reason is, I think most Kelantanese is fond of religious lecture and Islam itself and watching movies in cinemas with the normal conditions like everywhere else in this country does not suits the Islamic teaching. That's why there are many person like me who has never have experience watching movies in cinemas. I do not envy people who can go to cinemas at all but if there is a chance of watching an Islamic movie in a cinema-like place like Dewan Balai Islam, I would give it a try.

Why?

Because I know, the organizer will be organizing the screening by following the rules of the Islamic State Government. Because I know, the movie that was chosen to be shown is an Islamic one, selected carefully to obtain certain objectives such as teaching Islamic values in muamalah (relationship, communication) between man and woman, the importance of family's blessings, the importance of knowledge especially Islamic knowledge and so on.

 
Image source: Saifudin Ibrahim

And this month, while others in this world are celebrating valentine's day, we in Kelantan celebrate the month of the Islamic Entertainment. As part of the program, selected movies are shown in a cinema-like hall. The first screening was done on the night of 14th. Feb at Kelantan Trade Center and the film chosen was Ketika Cinta Bertasbih 1 which my husband and I had our first experience of watching movie in a theater.

Since this movie has 2 episodes, the organizer has planned to screen the Ketika Cinta Bertasbih 2 on 28th. Feb at Balai Islam Lundang. Entry is FREE. If you are in Kota Bharu on that day, please give yourself a chance to experience the movie with us at the hall.

 
Image Source: Saifudin Ibrahim

The films are based on the novels with the same titles authored by Habiburrahman el-Shirazy or well known as Kang Abik (pic above) from the neighbouring country, Indonesia. He is the author of the bestseller novels like Ayat-Ayat Cinta, Ketika Cinta Bertasbih, Di Atas Sejadah Cinta on a few more. He was invited to Kelantan by the State Government to be a panelist for the special Forum on Islamic Entertainment and also give a talk about his book and the movie. I have a chance to have a photo with him, so happy.

 
After the movie with Kang Abik, the author.

Well, I'm running out of ideas now so I think I will conclude here. There are so many different things which are so unique in Kelantan and one of them is watching movie the way we think suitable with our Islamic teaching. Who say we cannot watch movies?

 
Pictures after the movie.

14 comments:

Fatou Thioune said...

do you know where i can find the english subtitle for ketika cinta bertasbih 1. not this followup number 2?

lidey lim said...

cantiknya kakchik pakai niqab&tudung camtu
^_^

Unknown said...

dear pepita, I wish I know where to find it. I'm so sorry because I've search many videos but none has English subtitle.

Unknown said...

lidey, itu pulak yang dia nampak hehe.

C said...

Asalaamu alaikum

Do you know if they have translated the books at least into English? There are so many converts (mostly guys) married to malays that they would love to read such books as well as everyone else. Let me know any news. I have read The Gift by Zaipah Ibrahim. Have you read it too?

NoR said...

i didnt know there's no cinemas in kelatan..hmmm.

is the movie good?

sayyidah nafisah said...

Salam...
been living in kelantan for 2 years but this is the calm n nicest state I ever live.kelantan is something .

nazliahnazeer said...

kakchik! tu t/t habiburrahman ke? wahh bestnye!

Unknown said...

Wa'alaikummussalam C.

I don't think so. Maybe soon some publisher will take the initiative to translate it.

I haven't read The Gift yet but I've seen that book somewhere. Is it very good? I'll look for it because when someone recommended it, I need to read it too.

Unknown said...

NoR, there was one before but because of lack of audience, it was shut down.

You should watch it NoR and judge for yourself. For me, it's very good.

Unknown said...

Wa'alaikummussalam Nafisah.

Oh, you were here? Was it something to do with your study?

Thanks for the praise, as a Kelantanese, I'm so glad to hear that.

Unknown said...

Naz, iya... sebenar-benarnya TT Habiburrahman el-Shirazy.

sayyidah nafisah said...

LoL Kak Chik.yes,sy memang study sini.

Unknown said...

Nafisah, are you still studying here? Is it USM or APIUM? I forgot to check out you Info in facebook.

Search This Blog

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails